Roper Rehabilitation Hospital specializes in providing excellent care following brain injury, stroke, spinal cord injury, multi-trauma, amputation, neurological conditions and other diagnoses. More than 82% of our patients are able to return to the community rather than an institutional setting.
Roper Rehabilitation Hospital’s unique location within Roper Hospital provides our patients the advantage of access to advanced medical care 24/7, including laboratory, diagnostic imaging, medical and pharmacy services. Roper Rehabilitation Hospital is a part of the Roper St. Francis Healthcare continuum of care which also includes outpatient rehabilitation, home health and hospice.
Roper Rehabilitation Hospital is the only facility in the Lowcountry that has accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). Additionally, Roper Rehabilitation Hospital is:
- Recognized as #1 Rehabilitation Hospital in South Carolina, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2022–23 Best Hospitals Rankings.
- One of only five in South Carolina to be awarded the Adult Inpatient Rehabilitation accreditation.
- One of only two in South Carolina to be accredited in Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs - Children and Adolescents.
- One of only two rehabilitation hospitals in the state with CARF accreditation with an inpatient and outpatient Brain Injury Specialty and Spinal Cord Injury Specialty. All outpatient specialty programs are provided by Roper St. Francis Healthcare's Outpatient Rehabilitation Services, located in Roper Hospital.
- One of only three facilities in the state to be awarded the Stroke Specialty accreditation from CARF.
Our experienced team members include:
- Our team of physicians, all board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Interdisciplinary team members have specialty certification, including:
- Neurological clinical specialists (NCS)
- Certified stroke rehabilitation specialists (CSRS)
- Certified brain injury specialists (CBIS)
- Certified rehabilitation registered nurse (CRRN)
- Certified kinesiotape practitioner (CKTP)
- Certified driving rehabilitation specialist (CDRS)
Specialty and advanced equipment and resources
The Roper Rehabilitation Hospital in Charleston, SC offers its patients specialty and advanced equipment as well as many resources to help them overcome disabling injury or illness and reach their fullest functional potential.
- Lite Gait© and Maxi-Sky© to assist with body weight supported gait training.
- Functional electrical stimulation devices, including:
- Bioness L300 Plus
- Bioness H200 Wireless
- FES cycle
- SMART wheel
Art of Healing Program
Roper Rehabilitation Hospital is one of the first in the nation to offer Art of Healing. This wonderful program allows patients to choose the art that will be hung in their room to help inspire their recovery. All of the art has been donated by local artists and photographers.