The Brain Injury Specialty Program is proud to offer an inpatient and an outpatient program. The outpatient program is offered through Roper Hospital's Outpatient Rehabilitation Services. Roper Rehabilitation Hospital's unique location inside of Roper Hospital provides the Brain Injury Specialty Program patients access to advanced medical care 24/7 and is part of the Roper St. Francis Healthcare's continuum of care which includes outpatient rehabilitation, home health and hospice.
Our comprehensive interdisciplinary team is committed to providing excellent, patient-centered care.
The medical director for the Brain Injury Specialty Program, Dr. David Powell, is board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation, brain injury medicine and spinal cord injury medicine. Team members have specialized training in addressing the needs of the brain injury population, including:
- Certified rehabilitation registered nurses
- Neurological clinical specialists
- Certified brain injury specialists
- Certified brain injury specialist trainer
Specialty equipment and resources
The brain injury inpatient unit within Roper Rehabilitation Hospital has special features designed for this population including all private rooms, dimmable lights, overhead lifts in every room, quiet treatment spaces and more. Therapy utilizes the most advanced technology and comprehensive resources:
- Lite Gait© and Maxi-Sky© body weight support systems
- Functional electrical stimulation devices, including:
- Bioness L300 Plus
- Bioness H200 Wireless
- FES cycle
- Brain injury educational handbooks for survivors and caregivers
- Weekly brain injury education classes for survivors
- Brain injury caregiver education class
- A peer mentor program where brain injury survivors can counsel and encourage current brain injury patients.
- Community outings if appropriate.
Michelle Moore, MSP, CCC-SLP, CBIS
Speech Language Pathologist
Brain Injury Coordinator
Roper Rehabilitation Hospital
Emma Chambers, OTR/L, CCDT
Manager of Rehabilitation Services at Roper Hospital