System News

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - Berkeley Hospital caregivers reunite with former patient with life-threatening complication
Jamile Frazier and baby
Jamille Frazier doesn’t remember delivering her son at Roper St. Francis Berkeley Hospital, but that was the day the entire hospital came together to save her life.

Every service line at the facility played a role in keeping her alive, and that’s why Chief Nursing Officer Jennifer Crawford invited Jamille to return to the hospital on Tuesday during Nurses Week and Healthcare Week to see the staff.

“It was one of the most critical cases we’ve had, and it also was one of the most emotional cases,” she said. “Our team worked together beautifully doing everything they possibly could. It was everything we ever hoped RSF Berkeley Hospital to be.”

Jamille had preeclampsia, so her delivery was scheduled for Feb. 23. Her labor was progressing well and she was OK until she started not being able to breathe. Her chest tightened and she was short of breath, so she called the nurse to let her know she wasn’t feeling well.

“From there, I’m not sure what happened,” Jamille said. “I don’t remember anything else.”

Jamille had a life-threatening complication, an amniotic fluid embolus, which is an acute and rapid emergent situation that likely was caused by an allergic reaction to amniotic fluid entering the mother’s circulation. That caused pulmonary edema, which is caused by excess fluid in the lungs and can be life-threatening.

She went into cardiac arrest and her son, Ronald Woodberry Jr., was delivered by C-section. Teammates or physicians from the ICU, general surgery, ER, OB/GYN, anesthesiology, radiology and the blood bank worked together to care for Jamille and R.J. They stabilized her and transferred her by helicopter to another facility, where she stayed for another week and a half.

“Although some had never worked together and they didn’t know each other’s’ names, they worked as a team,” Crawford said. “It was true teamwork.”

Some of the staff knew Jamille was a single mother who had two other children and that RJ’s father had died a few months prior. Although they already were doing everything they possibly could, Crawford said it added more emotion to the already critical situation.

Nurses, doctors and techs stopped by to introduce themselves to Jamille, see how she’s doing now and thank her for allowing them to care for her. Chaplain David Hudspeth was among them. He prayed with Jamille’s family for her healing and told her he was grateful to meet her.

“You are a miracle,” he said. “It’s nice when you can meet the person you’re praying for and know your prayers have been answered. God’s blessings upon you and your son.”

Jamille said it was an overwhelming experience to return to the hospital but also sweet because she got to meet those who had a hand in saving her and bringing her back to her children.

“It’s hard to believe I’m here,” she said. “We might not know each other, but it feels like family. And I want to make sure everyone knows I’m very thankful for what they’ve done and that I appreciate it. I’m glad to be able to come back and say ‘thank you.’”
teammates with Frazier baby
Back to Top
We use cookies and other tools to enhance your experience on our website and to analyze our web traffic. For more information about these cookies and the data collected, please refer to our Digital Privacy Policy.