Diagnosing head and neck cancer
As always, comprehensive diagnosis begins with getting a complete medical history, including symptoms and risk factors and a physical exam. Depending on the type of cancer suspected, your doctor may suggest any of the following diagnostic tests:
- Direct visualization of the oropharyngeal tract, including endoscopy
- Imaging studies, including X-ray, Ultrasound, CT scan, MRI, PET scan
Head and neck cancer treatment
Our physicians have access to the latest technologies, treatments and clinical trials and research, to offer our patients the highest quality of care. Common treatment options Include:
- Surgery to remove the tumor
- Plastic reconstruction
- Radiation to kill cancer cells and keep them from growing
- Chemotherapy to stop cell growth
- Immunotherapy to harness the body’s immune system to halt the cancer
- Rehabilitation services including dental services, speech and swallowing therapy
- Clinical trials as appropriate
Head and neck cancer support services
Through our Donna Fielding Cancer Wellness Institute and other resources, Roper St. Francis Cancer Care provides support to all of our cancer patients’ needs – mind, body and spirit. From diagnosis to survivorship, we have numerous resources available to support you during your cancer journey.
Learn more about our support programs.