Friday, September 6, 2019
Play it safe with storm clean up
Chain saws, ladders and unstable ground are a recipe for trouble
Roper St. Francis Healthcare wants to remind people who are cleaning up after the storm to use extra caution today and this weekend.
“Unfortunately after every major weather event, we see an increase of people coming in with injuries directly related to storm clean up,” said Dr. D. Todd Detar, Medical Director for Roper St. Francis Express Care. “Some of these injuries are very severe and can be prevented with planning in advance. No tree limb is worth a human limb.”
Storm clean-up safety tips
- Wear protective equipment (gloves, safety glasses, ear plugs, safety boots and chaps for sawing)
- Do safety checks on all tools before using them
- Ladder safety: make sure it’s in working order and be sure to put it on stable ground
- Safety in numbers: try to have someone with you to help, especially when using a ladder or saw
- Be watchful of power lines
- Open water on roads can be deeper than you think, avoid if possible
Generator and grill safety
With thousands still without power, it’s vital to know using generators and even grills can be dangerous if not done properly. Roper Hospital has three hyperbaric chambers that are used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning by pushing the deadly chemicals out of the body.
Using a generator or grill indoors is dangerous and can be deadly. Generator exhaust contains high levels of carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas you cannot see or smell.
Never use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, or other partly enclosed areas. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can build up in these areas. Using a fan or opening windows and doors does NOT supply enough fresh air.
Only use a generator outdoors and far away from open windows, doors and vents. Make sure to direct the generator's exhaust away from these openings because they can pull in generator exhaust.