If you know that you will be a patient at a Roper St. Francis Healthcare facility in the near future, please review this information:
- Discuss with your surgeon at your pre-op visit your desire to be a bloodless patient and your desire to refuse blood and blood products.
- During your pre-admission testing call, advise the pre-admission testing nurse of your desire to be a Bloodless Medicine patient or, if appropriate, that you are a Jehovah’s Witness.
- For Jehovah’s Witnesses: Update and include your “No Blood” Healthcare Power of Attorney with the documents that you are asked to bring to the hospital.
- See your primary care doctor on an annual basis to ensure optimal levels for a healthy blood count.
- Upon admission, let your nurse know that you wish to be part of the Bloodless Medicine and Surgery program.
- Please note that non-blood alternatives are determined individually on a case by case basis.
The program is supported by the Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Advisory Council made up of the Bloodless Medicine Medical Director, doctors representing numerous surgical specialties as well as hematology and oncology, a dedicated coordinator and representatives from nursing, perfusion, pharmacy, legal and the laboratory.
For more information on the Roper St. Francis Bloodless Medicine and Surgery program or for a referral to a participating doctor call the coordinator at (843) 724-2399.