The Roper St. Francis cardiac rehabilitation program helps patients with all types of fitness levels. Whether you’re a professional athlete, weekend warrior or you’ve never exercised before, our team can create a plan that keeps you healthy and active.
Our program helps patients who have had:
- A heart attack
- Heart failure
- Cardiac bypass surgery
- Heart valve replacement or repair
- Stent placement
- Exercise-induced chest pain
Most patients undergo the first phase of cardiac rehabilitation while they are still in the hospital recovering from a treatment or procedure. During this phase, nurses and physical therapists will work with you to gradually rebuild strength and function before you go home.
Outpatient cardiac rehabilitation
Outpatient cardiac rehabilitation happens after you’re discharged from the hospital and helps you ease back into everyday life and activities. Our goal is to help you adopt and maintain a healthier lifestyle that includes regular exercise, a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle choices.
Once your doctor refers you to our cardiac rehabilitation program, you will meet with our team for an initial evaluation. This evaluation includes:
- A health history meeting with a cardiac rehabilitation nurse
- An exercise evaluation with an exercise physiologist
- A nutrition evaluation with a registered dietitian
After this evaluation, our team will come together and create a comprehensive treatment plan that’s tailored to you. The plan can include:
- Supervised exercise (sometimes with ECG monitoring)
- An exercise plan that helps you gradually build up strength and stamina
- Education about reducing risk factors for heart disease
- Stress management tips
- Nutrition counseling and meal planning
- One-on-one sessions with other rehabilitation specialists, such as heart failure nurses and health coaches
Most patients meet with our team three days a week for six to 12 weeks. We’ll adjust this schedule based on your needs. Sessions typically last 60-75 minutes, with most of the time dedicated to supervised exercise.
General health maintenance program
Once you finish your outpatient cardiac rehabilitation, you can continue your health journey with the general health maintenance program. This program helps you stay on track with your exercise and health goals. Our expert team of exercise physiologists, dietitians, health coaches and nurses will continue to offer you support.
Cardiac rehabilitation team
Our team brings together a variety of experts who all specialize in cardiac rehabilitation. The team includes:
- Exercise physiologists
- Registered and licensed dietitians
- Health coaches
- Cardiac rehabilitation nurses
We offer cardiac rehabilitation services at:
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact one of our rehabilitation centers:
- Roper Hospital Cardiac Wellness and Rehabilitation Center: (843) 724-2993
- St. Francis Hospital Cardiac Wellness and Rehabilitation Center: (843) 402-1271
- Mount Pleasant Hospital Cardiac Wellness and Rehabilitation Center: (843) 606-7186