Roper St. Francis Student Nurse Extern Program is an unpaid program designed to provide a learning environment that fosters the development of a student’s nursing skills and thereby enhances future success in the nursing profession.
The Student Nurse Extern Program is a 10-week summer program which starts the end of May and lasts through the beginning of August. Applications will be accepted until January 15th for the current year’s Student Nurse Externship program.
Objectives of the program:
- Gain insight into the role of a registered nurse in today’s acute care environment
- Improve self-confidence by gaining experience in critical thinking and problem solving
- Practice skills to enhance clinical competence
- Learn from experienced RN role models
- Improve time management skills
- Currently enrolled in an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing Program (August 2014 - August 2015 graduates)
- Successful completion of fundamentals and a medical-surgical clinical course or equivalent prior to start of Extern Program
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Application, resume and cover letter stating reasons candidate believes he/she should be selected for the position
FAQs about the Summer Student Nurse Externship
2013 Summer Nurse Externship Program Flyer
Summer Extern Application