Destroying Cancer Cells
Roper St. Francis Healthcare is proud to be the only hospital in South Carolina and one of the first 10 in the United States to offer NanoKnife technology for the treatment of soft tissue tumors such as those of the pancreas, prostate, liver, kidney and lung. The NanoKnife is an excellent example of our commitment to obtaining and utilizing the most revolutionary cancer fighting tools available for our patients.
NanoKnife® Treatment Process
How Does NanoKnife® Work?
The NanoKnife® system uses Irreversible Electroporation (IRE), a specialized technology that is FDA approved for the treatment of soft tissue tumors. This new technology uses a series of electrical pulses to permanently open cell membranes in cancerous tumors and destroy the cancer cells while leaving the surrounding normal tissue and structures intact.
NanoKnife® is a minimally invasive procedure where an interventional radiologist uses ultrasound or computed technology (CT) imaging to guide the placement of two or more needlelike probes into the cancerous tumor area. The NanoKnife probes rapidly deliver very short electrical pulses that target the tumor.
The cancer cells reached by the electrical pulses die and are removed by the body’s natural processes. Once the tumor cells are gone, healthy tissue often grows back.
Only one treatment with NanoKnife® is usually required, and most patients can go home the same day after the procedure.
Advantages of NanoKnife®
- Minimally invasive treatment with no surgical incision
- The procedure is usually completed in less than an hour
- Minimal pain
- Your healthy tissues are not damaged
- Excellent option for patients with tumors that are small or located very close to organs
- Possible to go home day of treatment
- Covered by most insurances
Is NanoKnife® Right for Me?
The NanoKnife® procedure provides a treatment alternative for patients
- Who have a small soft tissue tumor and want a minimally invasive treatment option.
- Who have a small soft tissue tumor that is adjacent to vessels, nerves, or other organs making surgery difficult or not possible.
- Who are not otherwise a candidate for surgery or cannot have additional chemotherapy.
To learn more about NanoKnife visit www.nanoknife.com