You may be hearing a lot about the Affordable Care Act and the insurance Marketplace. All consumers - insured, underinsured and uninsured, who want to shop for policies, can access the Marketplace. However, before you shop, there's important information you should know.
Many Marketplace health insurance policies will be very different from the policies sold today. In short, not all doctors and hospitals are part of every plan. It is important that you carefully select a policy that will reflect your doctor and hospital preferences.
Know the Facts:
- Once a policy is purchased on the Marketplace, you will not be able to make changes until the following year’s open enrollment period.
- Check the Provider Directory on healthcare.gov prior to enrolling in any insurance plan to ensure your doctor participates in a specific plan.
- Medicare isn’t part of the Health Insurance Marketplace, so if you have Medicare you don’t need to do anything. You’re considered covered under the healthcare law. You shouldn’t enroll in a Marketplace insurance plan. Learn more about Medicare details on HealthCare.gov.
- Roper St. Francis will care for all emergency patients regardless of their insurance policy.
Why Do I Need Coverage?
Consider the following when thinking of your coverage:
- Coverage is an important part of being proactive about good health.
- Individuals and families benefit from an ongoing relationship with healthcare providers, as well as peace of mind that healthcare costs can be managed.
- A health insurance plan that includes Roper St. Francis providers will cover well-care appointments, as well as a team dedicated to navigating the healthcare experience for patients.
Roper St. Francis is the area's preferred healthcare provider with more families choosing us than anyone else.
What Can I Do to Enroll in the Marketplace?
Open enrollment on the Marketplace began on November 15, 2014 and will continue through February 15, 2015.
Before you purchase a policy:
- Assess the healthcare needs of yourself and your family. The Marketplace will allow you to choose a plan that gives you the right coverage.
- Review the chart below to learn more about the policies offered on the South Carolina Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Visit HealthCare.gov to obtain coverage from the Federal Government