Many women may not be aware that heart disease and stroke are major threats to their health. Women's heart health is a major health issue and it's critical to be proactive in preventing heart disease. Heart disease is the number one cause of death among women in the United States, and stroke is number three.
Source: American Heart Association
- Cardiovascular diseases and stroke cause 1 in 3 women’s deaths each year, killing approximately one woman every 80 seconds.
- Cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of death for African-American women, killing over 48,000 annually.
- 90% of women have one or more risk factors for heart disease or stroke.
- On average, Hispanic women are likely to develop heart disease 10 years earlier than non-Hispanics.
- Fewer women than men survive their first heart attack.
- 64% of women who died suddenly of a heart attack had no previous symptoms.
- The risk of heart attacks increases among women about 10 years after experiencing menopause.
Almost one in every two women will die of heart disease or stroke. That’s why it is vital for women to know if they are at risk for heart disease and what to do if they think they are having a heart attack. Find out if you are at risk.
Learn more about:
With advanced technology, diagnostic and interventional capabilities, comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation programs and on-going educational opportunities, Roper St. Francis's experts deliver the highest level of care to meet the needs of those at risk for heart disease. Learn more about our Heart & Vascular Center.
Know Your Numbers
Your numbers are a good indicator of your overall heart health. Discuss your numbers with your doctor at your annual physical.
If you think you are at risk for heart disease, call (843) 402-CARE for a doctor's referral.
- Total Cholesterol: <200 mg/dL
- LDL "Bad" Cholesterol: <100 mg/dL
- HDL "Good" Cholesterol: 50 mg/dL or Higher
- Triglycerides: <150 mg/dL
- Blood pressure: <120/80 mmHg
- Fasting Glucose: <100 mg/dL
- Body Mass Index (BMI): <25
- Waist Circumference: <35 inches