Roper St. Francis Mount Pleasant Hospital is the first in Charleston to be named Baby-Friendly. By achieving Baby-Friendly USA status, Mount Pleasant Hospital is demonstrating the highest level of commitment to helping a new mother breastfeed. In 2014, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) gave Mount Pleasant Hospital a perfect score on their Maternity Practices in Infant Nutrition and Care survey.
What makes a Baby-Friendly Hospital special?
- All staff are specially trained and dedicated to helping new mothers breastfeed.
- Newborn babies stay close to their mothers, so they can nurse as soon as they are ready.
- Babies are encouraged to stay in the room with their parents.
- Only 166 hospitals out of 3,200 nationwide have earned a Baby-Friendly designation.
- We support all new mothers in whichever method they choose to feed their baby.
- All well babies are put skin to skin with their mothers after delivery - including C-sections deliveries in the operating room.
Physicians with privileges to deliver at the Roper Mount Pleasant Hospital: